Skip to main content

Contests Are Full of Sh-T

I have to admit I participate in the occasional contest, and even write the "sell-out" type John Chow inspired "make money online" link to me posts. I didn't enter his SH-TTY contests though. The reason being of course that the contests were full of SH-T. More on that later. I do have to give you a reason to keep reading. I know the suspense is killing you. Hey there is nothing wrong with trying to win free stuff. There is even less wrong with it if the entry is free. TANGET

Do you ever wonder why people "pay" to enter all of these contests that are going on all the time? Aren't all these contest free, well for the price of a stamp (don't get me started on the inefficiency of government), to enter. The whole "no purchase necessary" bit you hear. I've seen a guy buy a drink he doesn't like and spend more money than necessary, see price of stamp above, to "enter" a contest. I guess the promotion worked huh? You know you've done it too.

I mean at any given time there are probably hundreds of brands and products that are giving away free this or free that. Open the wrapper you can win one miilllyawn dawllars. Or the new tactic of the evil "big" corporations the enter the code online to register contest. Which we all know is really just a way to get your personal information so that they can bombard you with advertising.
Now what was I saying? Oh yeah, contest posting. There are lots of bloggers giving away stuff. From useful things like Bloggrrl's "cow patty bingo" prize of 50$ to John Chow's crappy mouse and usb drink thingy that doesn't work(these contest are not so useful, unless of course your John Chow which of course is the point - suckers ;) ) The latter contests are the ones that are contests full of SH-T. The former from Bloggrrl TANGET
Bloggrrl also happens to be the writer of one of my favorite articles in recent memory, The Three Little Blogs: A Cautionary Tale. I only just found this blog via Darren of Problogger (thanks) via his link to the three little blogs post. I have spent quite a bit of time reading through the articles at Bloggrrl and have really enjoyed the content as well as Michelle's humorous style.
Okay.....The former from Bloggrrl falls into the category of contests that give away useful SH-T but aren't full of it. You see this very post is an entry into said contest via my links to the contest post and The Three Little Blogs article. This isn't a blatant contest entry comprised of 3 sentences with the obligatory links. I have actually read through the blog, subscribed to the feed, and even left a comment. No, this is more than an entry. It is a review, recommendation, contest entry, and short rant on blog contests in general all rolled into one really great article. Enter the blatant self promotion :). So anyway, head on over to Bloggrrl, enjoy the great content, and if you don't think her "cow patty bingo" contest if full of SH-T go ahead and enter that before you leave.

What are some SH-TTY contests you have come across lately? Have you actually entered some? Even won one? Well that is it for now folks.

later all and have a profitable and productive blogging day

Get more profitable and productive information by subscribing to my newsletter! or clicking the links below to subscribe to my feed, bookmark my site, or add me to your favorites.

Add to Technorati FavoritesAddThis Social Bookmark ButtonAddThis Feed Button

Comments

WOW!! What kind of mood are we in today Cman??!!..lol.

I've entered a few contests here lately to. A couple of them being photo contests. I guess we'll see how those pan out.

A Cowboy's Wife
Proletariatof1 said…
kinda feeling SH-TTY tody actually can you tell.

I've been sick and cranky.
Oh...pobre cito;(

Well, I wish I was funny, then I could say something to make you laugh.
Cheer up and get to feelin' better:)
Proletariatof1 said…
a little spanish lingo thrown in :)

i'm feeling better now thanks. a little food, a little wine, a little....well that really isn't anyones business.

oh on the picture front my girlfriend and I are working on a picture. She always looks so hot in pictures, me I'm not photogenic in the slightest so I enlisted her help. hopefully we can come to a consensus
Anonymous said…
John Chow does have some shitty contest. He has been giving away crap while the parody site john cow is giving away 500$. tell me that makes sense. i think john has gotten stuck on himself.
Proletariatof1 said…
diggydigge??

you know the first thing i thought of was doug E. doug. that is too funny.

now don't get too harsh with Mr. Chow. I know if I had some online "celebrity" juice I would use it. you have to give the guy credit even though he has done some sh-tty contest lately the guy is a very creative marketer.
I know what you mean...I would love a little beer, salsa, and a little....too. That always seems to cheer up people..lol.

I think JohnChow could do better in many areas but he's already rich and famous and probably has the ego the size of the Grand Canyon. I still read him daily because he does provide some good & informative content from time to time.
roundouts said…
To be honest I hardly ever read John Chow from the start but I can imagine that his contests are as crappy as the rest. lol.

Now some cold hard cash and a smaller audience is what Im talking about.
Making Money with Stud
Proletariatof1 said…
i still check his site via rss and click through when something catches my eye.

Popular posts from this blog

Give Viral Marketing A Chance !

==== Copy and Paste below this line ==== Instructions: Important Update - Please read here ! 1.) Copy and paste (for those of you using blogger post in the compose tab, not the edit html tab, of your post editor) the matrix of “ViralTags” below courtesy of Founders Cafe ( to support Jimmy’s quest of launching his own Internet Startup with a shoestring budget, please consider subscribing to his Full RSS Feed to see his triumphs and struggles in real time ). 2.) Substitute the Host Tag and one of the “Viral Tags” in the matrix with your anchor text of choice with your blog’s URL. Please keep anchor text to a max of 3 words to keep the matrix size manageable. 3.) When you get a ping back from someone that has your link in one of their “Viral Tags”, practice good karma by copying his/her Host Tag’s anchor text (automatically the associated link will also be copied) and paste it over one of your “Viral Tags” below. 4.) Encourage and invite your readers to do the same and soon this

The Ghost Of Ashwins Past

Wow some people are beyond pale. Here I am just coming off a somewhat major illness, making life changing decisions, quitting blogging, selling the site, and what response do I get? I get an email not wishing me well, but attacking me using somewhat harsh language and accusing me of pulling an Ashwin with the current contest . I am only giving away $50 bucks. Chillax I'm good for it. Here is my response to the email. SUCK IT! My actual response really wouldn't have been appropriate. Okay, first it is my blog and I'll do what I want with it. Second, I have been completely honest and upfront with contests and have always lived up to my word. Third, where in my last post did the word contest appear, and where in relation to that was a change in said contest mentioned? Funny thing is after tracking the persons entry it wasn't a valid entry anyway. He, oops, or she should have followed the rules. I have also decided that due to the length of the contest, and to give this guy

The Stripping Aristologist Contest Winner

Well as you can see from the above screen capture the winning entry is #5. Heading over to the contest post and looking through the comments and the trackbacks I found that Anton of Link Right Contests was entry #5 with his guess of Julia Child. The actual answer was incorrect so he won the $50 but not the bonus prize. I was a bit generous to 2 entries that commented and entered but did not give the link. I had to search their blog to find the answer. There were several that commented and gave a link to their blog but I could not find a post about the contest or any links back to this blog. Anywho....Congrats to Anton and thank you all so much for reading and taking the time to interact with this blog and really make it what it is. Oh and Anton you might want to consider some kind of Contact Me link for your blog. Other than trackback to your post and a comment I have no way to contact you regarding your winning entry. Having a Contact Me is one of the first things any blogger should