Skip to main content

Computer Illiterate Friends

Many of my friends know that I run online businesses and work with computers on a regular basis. The ones that know me well also know I build computers and actually hold Microsoft Certification. Many moons ago I would build computers and sell them on ebay. Don't do that anymore though I just do my own or for friends and family. I also don't really use my Microsoft Cert much either. A friend and I were considering a small business last year and we both went through the certification program together. Wow did I get sidetracked.

Anyway.....The point was is that many of my friends, while they use a computer at work and at home, are functionally illiterate when it comes to most software and hardware. What happens is that they always are asking me to help with this or that. Come help my kids screwed up the computer Come help I screwed up the computer. Can you make my computer go faster? Hey you know how to set up a home wireless network don't you? The questions never end. I don't mind helping most of the time, but It would be nice if they wouldn't just assume I am going to help. I don't really think they have an understanding of how much money I save them. I'm not asking for anything in return, I just wish that they would appreciate the value of the service.

If you aren't lucky enough to have a friend like me :) then you probably do understand the value of good computer help. You also probably know how frustrating computer issues can be. If you own a small business or run a business from your house it can be even more frustrating. I know a blogging friend of mine had an issue with her computer a while back and it cost her some down time and probably revenue.

Blogging is a small business and you should run it as such. Even if it is just you and your blogs, it is a small business. You have expenses, income, deductions, depreciation, and a ton of other big words. I am not a tax or business expert, I leave that to my accountant. My accountant does though require some things of me. I have to keep good records. Now let me tell I am probably not the best at that. Early last year when I added this blogging stuff into my online business I decided I need some help managing everything. I bought Quickbooks software and started using it for my book keeping. Wonderful software let me tell you.

Even though I am on the high side of the software knowledge curve I had a few issues with the software and knew I could probably get more out of it. No I didn't enlist a friend. I called around and found several places that offered Quickbooks training. I also found a few places online. The training varied from online courses to actual on-site training. I elected the latter that way I could use my computer, my software, and my data. The guy came right to the house and worked with me so that I completely understood the software. he showed me tricks and little tools I didn't even know were available through QuickBooks! It was certainly worth the time and has made managing my businesses way easier.

This incident is actually what prompted my friend and I to seriously look into starting a on-site computer service company. There weren't any good ones locally, the one I used was based over 20 miles away. We actually contacted the company that I had do my training to inquire as to franchise opps. They had a great setup with only $19,500 for the franchise package and another $6,000 or so for start-up and advertising. For around $25,000 we could have had a great business. We ultimately decided against it and instead decided to put a bit more time and effort into our real estate ventures.

later all and have a profitable and productive blogging day

Get more profitable and productive information by subscribing to my FEED and my newsletter! or clicking the links below to bookmark my site, or add me to your favorites.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the F Does the C Stand 4

I know all of you have been waiting with baited breathe for my first contest. Well we are taking the plunge together. Here is the chance for all of you to win something for doing almost nothing. Hopefully you won't think this Contest is full of Sh-t . For many many years I have had the "nickname," I guess you could call it, of Cman. Here lately, probably due in part to #10 in my 10 Reasons John Chow Probably Thinks This Blog Is About Him article, I have been getting asked more and more what the C in Cman stands for. Herein lays the focus of this contest. For the person who can guess what the C in Cman stands for I will give them $100. If multiple people guess correctly the winner will be chosen by random drawing from among the correct entries. If no one guesses correctly I will randomly pick from all entries and will award the winner of the losers $20. Clarification: 1. In the words of Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez, "There can be only One." Winner that is. E

The Stripping Aristologist Contest Winner

Well as you can see from the above screen capture the winning entry is #5. Heading over to the contest post and looking through the comments and the trackbacks I found that Anton of Link Right Contests was entry #5 with his guess of Julia Child. The actual answer was incorrect so he won the $50 but not the bonus prize. I was a bit generous to 2 entries that commented and entered but did not give the link. I had to search their blog to find the answer. There were several that commented and gave a link to their blog but I could not find a post about the contest or any links back to this blog. Anywho....Congrats to Anton and thank you all so much for reading and taking the time to interact with this blog and really make it what it is. Oh and Anton you might want to consider some kind of Contact Me link for your blog. Other than trackback to your post and a comment I have no way to contact you regarding your winning entry. Having a Contact Me is one of the first things any blogger should

Give Viral Marketing A Chance !

==== Copy and Paste below this line ==== Instructions: Important Update - Please read here ! 1.) Copy and paste (for those of you using blogger post in the compose tab, not the edit html tab, of your post editor) the matrix of “ViralTags” below courtesy of Founders Cafe ( to support Jimmy’s quest of launching his own Internet Startup with a shoestring budget, please consider subscribing to his Full RSS Feed to see his triumphs and struggles in real time ). 2.) Substitute the Host Tag and one of the “Viral Tags” in the matrix with your anchor text of choice with your blog’s URL. Please keep anchor text to a max of 3 words to keep the matrix size manageable. 3.) When you get a ping back from someone that has your link in one of their “Viral Tags”, practice good karma by copying his/her Host Tag’s anchor text (automatically the associated link will also be copied) and paste it over one of your “Viral Tags” below. 4.) Encourage and invite your readers to do the same and soon this